This tumblr's for all the great men and women of science for whom we owe our current understanding of the natural world; their achievements, their failures, and even their quirks, we celebrate them all.
For Science. For Inquiry. For Humanity.
“No, this isn’t a make-believe place. It’s real.
They call it “Ball’s Pyramid.” It’s what’s left of an old volcano that emerged from the sea about 7 million years ago. A British naval officer named Ball was the first European to see it in 1788. It sits off Australia, in the South Pacific. It is extremely narrow, 1,844 feet high, and it sits alone.
What’s more, for years this place had a secret. At 225 feet above sea level, hanging on the rock surface, there is a small, spindly little bush, and under that bush, a few years ago, two climbers, working in the dark, found something totally improbable hiding in the soil below. How it got there, we still don’t know.
Here’s the story: About 13 miles from this spindle of rock, there’s a bigger island, called Lord Howe Island.
On Lord Howe, there used to be an insect, famous for being big. It’s a stick insect, a critter that masquerades as a piece of wood, and the Lord Howe Island version was so large — as big as a human hand — that the Europeans labeled it a “tree lobster” because of its size and hard, lobsterlike exoskeleton. It was 12 centimeters long and the heaviest flightless stick insect in the world. Local fishermen used to put them on fishing hooks and use them as bait.”
For all of you who don’t like insect, here’s something else to fear.
- ohdarlingiloveyouso likes this
- jackbeloved reblogged this from scinerds
- blackveilbridesrule reblogged this from muonna and added:
- muonna reblogged this from cosmographia
- melthemagpie reblogged this from scinerds
- futurecorridor reblogged this from scinerds
- fueledbyselfhate reblogged this from millions--knives and added:
- millions--knives reblogged this from queerillyanair
- hurricane-christine reblogged this from with-a-thousand-words
- with-a-thousand-words reblogged this from captainanndy
- trickysky reblogged this from scinerds
- mylifeisacardboardbox reblogged this from scinerds
- kenkit reblogged this from esinololly and added:
- kenkit likes this
- zispot likes this
- esinololly reblogged this from theoutlawstar
- faintedtowers likes this
- ai-dit reblogged this from captainanndy and added:
- ai-dit likes this
- haroldoisgay likes this
- surfforeverr likes this
- valeehh likes this
- bo-wheezy likes this
- gonharry reblogged this from todeswalzer
- erzsebethreturns likes this
- taelspls reblogged this from todeswalzer
- pixlmatic reblogged this from scinerds
- fuck-you-url reblogged this from todeswalzer
- itspartycat reblogged this from todeswalzer and added:
- todeswalzer reblogged this from dinorae
- dinorae reblogged this from queerillyanair
- songbirdsweet reblogged this from raymondradioactive and added:
- phillymath likes this
- derrickxreid reblogged this from queerillyanair and added:
- millions--knives likes this
- painfullyaveragexvx likes this
- with-a-thousand-words likes this
- captainanndy reblogged this from raymondradioactive and added:
- raymondradioactive reblogged this from poptartfart and added:
- poptartfart reblogged this from scinerds and added:
- okisai likes this
- mortefere reblogged this from disco-dancer-donna
- mortefere likes this
- still-locked reblogged this from scinerds
- disco-dancer-donna reblogged this from scinerds
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- dailygreen reblogged this from jmek and added:
- therationalradical reblogged this from jvonneumann
- jmek reblogged this from questionall