This tumblr's for all the great men and women of science for whom we owe our current understanding of the natural world; their achievements, their failures, and even their quirks, we celebrate them all.
For Science. For Inquiry. For Humanity.
Chimps, Bonobos and Us
Closest living relative of Homo sapiens? Easy. Chimpanzees, right? It might not be that simple. With the recent sequencing of the bonobo genome, the distinction between the two species is getting fuzzier, as is the question of who’s a closer relative of humans.
Bonobos are a small population of chimpanzee-like apes that live in a tiny pocket of the Congo. They themselves split off of the lineage of chimpanzees less than two million years ago after their population was cut off by the Congo river. Unlike the rather aggressive chimpanzees, who are far more widespread across Africa, bonobos are … well, rather less so.
Bonobos look so much like chimps (the bonobo is on the right up above) that their behavior is one of the few ways to tell them apart. They are known to settle disputes through sex, the gender combination not always important, with the activity even completed while eating. Sex is their cultural currency. Don’t believe me? Watch this.
Chimps do no such thing, to their own recreational detriment.
The sequenced bonobo genome only differs from the chimpanzee genome by 0.4% at the DNA level. That’s within the normal variability of chimp genomes! So are they bonobos or are they chimps? How much of species separation is genetic and how much is behavioral? What, if anything in the small genetic difference leads to those huge behavioral changes? And if they are both so closely related, who is our actual closest relative? This is a debate that will continue.
(via Ars Technica)
- humblemasteroftheuniverse reblogged this from shyandsmiley
- shyandsmiley reblogged this from thinkimkindagay
- ronwisteezyfucksyou reblogged this from kiranpreetandravinder
- benefitsofmembership reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- kiranpreetandravinder reblogged this from thepublicscience
- genzi reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- vivelavapeur reblogged this from greatmindsofscience
- gwydionmisha likes this
- putdownmypants likes this
- backuppanic likes this
- goodmorningteachera likes this
- thinkingaboutnotthinking said:They’re equally distant relatives! It’s the common ancestor that matters, baby.
- whimsyofthewind likes this
- devilmaycreys reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- shyandsmiley likes this
- hottree2 reblogged this from jtotheizzoe and added:
- hottree2 likes this
- kitcat87 likes this
- pizzafreek likes this
- thewickedestwench likes this
- merdedechat reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- juciful reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- biocas likes this
- tinaille likes this
- scienceevidencelogic reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- diaryofmsneongreen reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- omniacausafiuntt reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- kaifoundnemo likes this
- rasputinsgypsy reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- rasputinsgypsy likes this
- kim-chunli003 likes this
- magickhouse likes this
- ojenroc likes this
- rev likes this
- fallingupbackwards likes this
- elizabethactual likes this
- downloading-new-emotion reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- coattailsofdoom likes this
- inhumation likes this
- dinitrophenol reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- unbearablevastness reblogged this from biognosis
- awindofsuchviolence reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- evopropinquitous likes this
- biognosis reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- superpancakefish reblogged this from jtotheizzoe
- pinksplinters likes this
- logantogovernmentcentre likes this
- jadeskisaurus likes this
- forged-by-four-winds reblogged this from effin-n-jeffin
- dullscythe likes this